Organised in 1914
Address: Iceland Conference, Suðurhlíð 36, 105 Reykjavik, Iceland
Email: [email protected]
The history of church in Iceland
The first known Seventh-day Adventist in Iceland was O J Rost, a Norwegian minister who went there in 1893 and convinced a local Lutheran minister of the Sabbath.
In 1897 David Ostlund, a Swede, was sent by the Danish Conference as the first Seventh-day Adventist missionary to Iceland. On board ship, he met an Icelandic couple who had decided to keep the Sabbath after reading The Great Controversy. Having read in the Danish church paper that a missionary was being sent to Iceland, the couple had decided to return to help him. Ostlund began circulating The Second Coming of Christ, by James White and Steps to Christ. A printer himself, in 1890 Ostlund began a semi-monthly magazine called Fraekom (‘The Seed’) which, until he left Iceland in 1914, had the largest circulation of any paper in the country. He also printed books and tracts on his own press.
Nils Anderson, a colporteur from Sweden, worked tirelessly in Iceland from 1903 to 1916, riding his pony to remotest corners of the island.
The first church was organised in May 1905, following the erection of a church building earlier that year.